Tuesday 27 May 2014

Garden Bunting

While the garden is beginning to look really good after the hard work we've put into it this year, we aren't about to start hanging out the bunting. That doesn't stop a bunting enjoying the garden though. Specifically a Yellowhammer visited this evening. Sorry about the rather poor photo, but it was taken hand held in poor light (we lose direct sunlight to the garden by about 4 o'clock due to the railway and trees) and through the kitchen window which is definitely in need of a clean.

I haven't heard it sing the traditional "little bit of bread and no cheese" song yet, but I'm assuming it is primarily the male that sings, and this would be a female. Either way a nice new addition to the species list for the garden.
28 May 2014 at 09:55 , Graham Edwards said...

It's a long time since I saw (or identified) a Yellowhammer in the UK. I heard them all the time in NZ but only identified and photographed one on one occasion and the photo was very poor indeed.

28 May 2014 at 09:57 , Mark said...

I must admit it is so long since I last saw one I had to check the bird book to be sure I was right about what it was. No chance of seeing it again today though given the torrential rain.

Post a Comment