Thursday 4 October 2012

Faster Than A Speeding Bullet?

Just over a week ago I was heading through the centre of Sheffield when I noticed a marque had been erected at the top of Fargate (the pedestrianized shopping precinct). Given that it wasn't a market day I was a little intrigued. It turned out that the full scale model of Bloodhound SSC was on display for the day. Unfortunately I was in a rush to get to work so I only really had time to have a quick look and take a single photo.

Bloodhound SSC is being built by the same team behind the current land speed record holder Thrust SSC. Building of the actual car is underway with a plan in place to break the current world record of 763mph next year, and then move on to trying to break the 1000mph mark in 2014 at which point it will be traveling faster than a speeding bullet.
4 October 2012 at 07:56 , ADRIAN said...

It is an amazing machine and had it's first engine run yesterday.
Couldn't believe the pump for the rocket element is driven by a Cosworth V8. Be great to see it rolling along.

4 October 2012 at 08:36 , ADRIAN said...

PS. Have you seen the video of them printing titanium components....I never realised printing was that advanced. Ask them nicely and they might do you a titanium loco.

4 October 2012 at 18:03 , Mark said...

Apparently there is a titanium printer somewhere in the University where I work, although I'm not sure they'd let me play with it!

Shapeways, who I used for my first foray into 3D printing, do allow you to print in a whole host of materials, other than plastic, including: stainless steel, sterling silver, ceramics, and glass.

Post a Comment