Friday 28 October 2011

The Original Sacher-Torte

When I travel I try and make sure I get to sample the local specialty foods and drinks. For example, in Bled you have to eat the cream slice and in Beijing it's Peking Duck. When I was in Vienna I did sample the local wine (one of the social events was held at a vineyard), although I missed out on trying Sturm. I also decided there was no way I could travel to Vienna without trying the original Sacher Torte. Apparently.... the history of the world-famous Original Sacher-Torte began in 1832, when the 16-year old apprentice cook Franz Sacher created this dessert at the court of Prince Metternich. In the meantime, it has become the most famous torte in the world and the hand-written recipe is a "state secret" of the hotel. The Original Sacher-Torte is still produced in the traditional manner and is hand-made.

As I didn't have too much time to sit and enjoy the delights of the Hotel Sacher, instead of eating a slice in Vienna I bought a whole torte (in a wooden box) and brought it home. It survived a mad dash across Munich airport as I nearly missed my flight home, and it was worth every Euro I spent on it. Absolutely gorgeous. From the smell of high quality chocolate on unwrapping the box, to the lightness of the cake, it was just a delight to eat.

Of course you don't just have to take me word for it, you could order your very own Sacher-Torte to bring a little piece of Vienna to your own corner of the globe!
28 October 2011 at 18:50 , ADRIAN said...

I am not a chocolate fan but do remember trying this. It's not as revolting as it looks. Watch how much you eat or else.
1...You'll miss the next flight.
or
2...Ryanair will start charging you extra.

29 October 2011 at 10:17 , Mark said...

Yes, the site of me dashing anywhere isn't pretty, even without having eaten any of the Sacher Torte. Good job there is still plenty of work to do in the garden -- much cheaper than a gym membership!

29 October 2011 at 23:27 , Graham Edwards said...

Looks good but I'm nor sure I'd have gone to those lengths for a piece of any cake!

Post a Comment