Friday 1 January 2010

Fifty-Two (or more)

I currently own three cameras; two digital and one film. I haven't used the film camera (a Miranda Sharp Shooter) since we bought our first digital camera back in 2005, and having just fished it out of the drawer I'm not sure how well it will now work as the batteries for the flash have corroded a bit.

The first digital camera we bought was a Sony DSC-F828. This was an expensive camera and has most of the settings you would find on a DSLR but without allowing interchangeable lenses. It can shoot RAW as well as JPEG files and has so many settings and options the manual is huge.

On the simpler end of the scale I also have a simple point-and-shoot digital camera, a Fujifilm Finepix A900 , which is ideal for travelling and which I nearly always have on me.

Whilst I can use the auto settings on both cameras to produce reasonable photos, I've never really mastered all the options or thought much about technique when taking photos. Given that I've paid for cameras with options I've decided I should learn how to use them. I've started buying the odd photography magazine to get ideas/tips/hints on better ways of taking photos, and post-processing the images in the hope of learning something.

When trying to learn anything practice and perseverance are important. So that I keep thinking about photography techniques (both during the shoot and when processing the images) I'm going to start yet-another-blog, Fifty-Two (or more). The idea is that I'll post one (or more) photos each week. These will either be new photos taken that week, or older photos that I've spent time working on over the week. I won't just be posting the photo though I'll also write in some detail about the ideas/motivation for the image and the techniques involved. Hopefully writing this stuff down will both help me to remember what I did and provide a useful reference for other people. I've already made the first post on the new blog so hop on over and let me know what you think.
3 January 2010 at 17:40 , Scriptor Senex said...

I added 52 or more to my blog listing but it cannot detect a feed of updates.

Post a Comment