Saturday 13 June 2009

The Dragon, the Monkey and the Worm

I was later than usual leaving work yesterday which meant I arrived at the train station about 45 minutes before my train was due. Rather than waiting in Sheffield station I took a train heading for Leeds and then got off at Barnsley where I could wait for the Penistone train. Why would I bother changing trains instead of just waiting in Sheffield? I thought I'd take the opportunity to photograph some of the weird and wonderful artwork that adorns Barnsley station.

I didn't get to photograph all the artwork before my train arrived but I did get photos of the dragon, the monkey and the worm. Lets start with the dragon.
When viewed at 90 degrees to the track it is definitely a dragon, move slightly either way though and it's a bunch of people waiting for the train.

The rest of the artwork is hidden away in the canopy over the platforms. I know there is a mouse, an elephant and bird but I only got photos of the monkey and the worm.
They may not be to everyone's taste but I quite like them.
14 June 2009 at 16:37 , Graham Edwards said...

New Zealand is a great place for art in public places. But there seems to be more and more appearing in the UK too. Or is it my imagination?

15 June 2009 at 17:56 , Mark said...

It's not just your imagination. In Sheffield a number of bits of art have appeared over the last few years. I'll try and grab photos of some other pieces when I get the chance.

Post a Comment