Monday 4 February 2008

Internal Memory

When I bought my new camera I noticed that one of the features mentioned on the box was the 10MB of internal memory. Now I knew that that 10MB is pretty useless when it comes to storing digital photos and so I bought a 1GB SD card along with the camera.

It was only when playing around with the camera earlier today, however, that I realised just how useless the internal memory really is. Once the memory has been formatted etc. there is so little space that you can store just one photo at the highest quality on the internal memory.

What use is the ability to store one extra photo? Surely it would have made more sense not to add internal memory to the camera. Either the camera would have been cheaper or the manufacturers would have had a bigger profit margin, either way it makes more sense than adding complexity to the camera for the sake of storing a single photo!
5 February 2008 at 18:20 , GB said...

As I understand it, though I might be wrong, the internal memory is purely there as a quickly accessible 'buffer' storage medium when using, for example, the rapid sequence facility on the camera: rapid sequence images being much smaller in byte size than a highest quality photo of course. The length of the sequence is limited by the size of the buffer.

6 February 2008 at 09:08 , Mark said...

You could be right but I think there is separate internal memory for the burst function, especially as the burst function on the camera will work using the normal memory card.

Post a Comment