Tuesday 1 January 2008

Molehills

Happy New Year! I was hoping to start the new year with a sunrise photo. I even got up early and went for a walk with my camera intending to get a photo of the first sunrise of 2008. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be a sun or sunrise. Even when it got quite light there was too much mist and clouds for me to see the sun. Ah well, maybe next year. So instead of a sunrise, here is a rather strange photo of some molehills.

What I thought was odd was that here is a football field on which there isn't a single molehill, yet all around the edge there are plenty. I couldn't see anything on the ground that would have stopped the moles burying under the football field so I'm at a loss to explain why they seem to have stopped the same distance away from the pitch along each side. Any suggestions?
4 January 2008 at 10:25 , Helen said...

Molehills commonly occur in lines along the route of the burrow so maybe they just happened to burrow off the pitch. Alternatively the vibrations on the pitch may have put them off burrowing underneath.

Post a Comment