Wednesday 22 August 2007

Silver Y Moth on Lavender


We get lots of wildlife in the garden, and for today's post I thought I'd go with a moth photo. Just outside the kitchen window there is a large lavender plant which at around dusk is covered in Silver Y moths. Taking photos of them is actually quite difficult as they don't stay still for very long, the plant tends to sway around, and dusk doesn't give the best light.


I've tried to take photos recently and ended up with every one of them blurry or out of focus so I'm having to use one that I took in July last year instead.

For those interested in Latin names then the Silver Y moth is called Autographa gamma. I guess this is because it looks like someone has autographed each wing of the moth with the lowercase version of the Greek letter gamma, γ.
23 August 2007 at 03:45 , Scriptor Senex said...

Don't think I've ever got a Silver Y with it's wings open - they move so fast. Top marks for patience!

Post a Comment